tFR.n - Powered by vBulletin

"All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come." ~Victor Hugo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    raythethird is offline Junior Member
    "I'm too cool to change this."

Dark Chocolate

Mountain Man,

I found your dark chocolate thread on bb.com and got about to page 5 when i found this site. I was just curious how your experimentation with it went, and if it was still incorporated in your diet. I could finish reading that thread to see if you posted again in it, but i thought it might be good if you posted it here, too as I wouldn't have thought it was something so beneficial.

I did a search on this site and didn't find anything so if something is here, just direct me to it.

I really like the concept behind this site and what you stand for, and i will visit it regularly. Also, I appreciate the myspace friends request. That was what enabled me to find this site.

IamRay

heyzeus909 is offline Mountain Man
    "To not question authority is
    to answer to it."

Blog Entries

QuoteraythethirdQuote View Post
    Mountain Man,

I found your dark chocolate thread on bb.com and got about to page 5 when i found this site. I was just curious how your experimentation with it went, and if it was still incorporated in your diet. I could finish reading that thread to see if you posted again in it, but i thought it might be good if you posted it here, too as I wouldn't have thought it was something so beneficial.

I did a search on this site and didn't find anything so if something is here, just direct me to it.

I really like the concept behind this site and what you stand for, and i will visit it regularly. Also, I appreciate the myspace friends request. That was what enabled me to find this site.

IamRay
    You probably read 2 or 3 more pages than necessary on the bb.com Dark Chocolate thread I started. Lot's of good info on the first couple of pages, not so much after that.

Interesting you'd ask if I still incorporate it into my diet because, just this morning, I had 1.5oz as breakfast so I could measure the blood-sugar effect it had (more on that coming soon, I hope. Zero effect on blood sugar from 88% pure Dark Chocolate). I also had 2 servings of dark chocolate covered almonds later today, too.

It irks me to no end when I read in a magazine, book, or website where the reader is advised to abstain from saturated fat. 'Saturated fat' is a blanket term that refers to different types of saturated fat. Not all saturated fats are created equal. Some are good, and some are bad. There's a specific type of saturated fat in Dark Chocolate called stearic acid that's shown to help boost testosterone levels. That, my friend, is a very good thing. (stearic acid is also prominent in beef - and it should preferably be grass fed beef, as well). Stearic acid has a neutral effect on cholesterol levels, too.

I really have no doubt that the consistent eating of Dark Chocolate makes me vascular. If you're taking an "N.O." preworkout supplement for vascularity, then you can have it - I'll stick with my Dark Chocolate. Dark Chocolate doesn't necessarily need to be taken preworkout for there to be a dilating effect of blood vessels during/post workout. That would imply that the effect is short lived; which I don't think it is.

Anyway, here's a link for you about that:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3756997.stm
    "It is likely that the elevated blood levels of epicatechin triggered the release of active substances that vasodilate, or increase, blood flow in the artery. Better blood flow is good for your heart."
    ^^ If it's good for your heart, then it's probably good for your brain...and your muscles, too.

Dark Chocolate is also chock full of antioxidants.

The more pure your dark chocolate, the better. Look for something that's close to 80 to 90 percent pure (it'll say so on the label). I like 'Endangered Species' brand that's 88 percent pure. 'Dagoba's' 87 percent pure is good as well. Hershey's - even the kind that says 'dark' or 'extra dark' - blows.

Thank you for doing a search on this site before you asked. I'm embarrassed I haven't said something before now, but apparently, I'm waiting for the questions to be asked before I just volunteer the information.

At some point, I'm going to do a more thorough post on this topic, and it will include thoughts about grass fed beef, and whole eggs, as well (complete with references).

Thanks for the good words, brother. I hope you find this site useful.
    Last edited by heyzeus909; 05-06-2008 at 06:22 PM.

appreciate the info

dwperry is offline Senior Member

I was curious about this myself,, thanks MM and Ray for bringing it up.

czmg22 is offline Czmg22

MM,

You state the more pure the better. Then what's your opinion of CACAO NIBS, or raw chocolate beans? I wasn't aware of all the good things you mentioned, only that it was good anti-oxidants. I've been eating nibs for a long time. typically I eat 2 tbsp per day. Once in the morning with breakfast or with my 1st snack of the day, and once at night as part of my nightime snack. secondly, in order to get the greatest benefit from them, should I change when I eat the nibs? before workout, etc?? ~Thanks!!
    If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. -General George Patton

FitzChivalry is offline Nothing productive to say

So you're not talking about just plain "pure" kind but the kind with some sugar also added? And also, I thought that you (Heyzeus) said that you didn't like to combine carbs and fats together or is this so minimal of amount/blood sugar response that it doesn't really matter?

czmg22 is offline Czmg22

Dark Chocolate

QuoteFitzChivalryQuote View Post
    So you're not talking about just plain "pure" kind but the kind with some sugar also added? And also, I thought that you (Heyzeus) said that you didn't like to combine carbs and fats together or is this so minimal of amount/blood sugar response that it doesn't really matter?
    I'm not sure if the first part of your post is directed to me or Heyzeus, but if it is directed to me, these are raw beans no sugar or anything added. just chocolate bean bits. 100% organic raw pounded Criollo chocolate beans. I get them from my local whole foods store, but they can also be purchased over the internet from here: http://www.navitasnaturals.com

Regards,
    Phil

battousai216 is offline Member

there is not a significant amount of carbs in high cocoa dark chocolate. 85% lindt bars nutritional info is as follows:

Fat:18g
    saturated fat:11g
    carbohydrates:8g
    dietary fiber:3g
    sugar:5g
    protein:4 g

the higher the cocoa percentage the less carbs there are, 99%(if you can stomache it) has less then half that.
    the weak shall inherit nothing

9. Likes: (2)
    czmg22 is offline Czmg22

Here's the Nutritional Info for Raw Chocolate Nibs:

Serving size: 1 ounce
    Calories 140
    Calories from fat 90
    Total Fat 10g
    Saturated Fat 3g
    Sodium 30mg
    Total Carbs 12g
    Dietary Fiber 8g
    Sugars 2g
    Protien 1g
    Vitamin C, magnesium, zinc,iron, copper, potassium, calcium, and good antioxidant flavanoids.

I found some of the 85% Lindt and bought it today. Would 40 grams, or 1 serving, be sufficient for a day? Should i spread the 4 squares out over the day, or eat them all at once? Or, am i overthinking? lol

Most of the meat I eat is either baked chicken and tuna, so I'd imagine my diet is short of stearic acid and saturated fats.

I am really curious to see how this affects my vascularity; and, from the link you posted, it sounded like i should be able to notice a difference in two weeks or so.

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

I found some of the 85% Lindt and bought it today. Would 40 grams, or 1 serving, be sufficient for a day?
    Personally, I shoot for 1.5oz to 3oz a day depending on my particular macronutrient goals. Some days I may not eat any - it just depends on what else I've eaten that day and how it fits in with my calories overall.

Should i spread the 4 squares out over the day, or eat them all at once? Or, am i overthinking?
    For me, I like to get my fats for the day from two meals: Usually my second meal of the day, and the last meal of the day.

Whether or not you take it in all at once, or split up over more meals, probably doesn't matter all that much.

I am really curious to see how this affects my vascularity; and, from the link you posted, it sounded like i should be able to notice a difference in two weeks or so.
    Really, it's only going to make a visual difference if you have a body fat level that will support seeing vascularity in first place ( <~10% ). I'll admit that it could be a totally psychological effect (it's pretty tough being the obeserver and the observee), but I should also point out that I noticed the effect before I knew that it could vasodilate blood vessels, too.

Quotebattousai216Quote View Post
    99%(if you can stomache it) has less then half that.
    Show me someone that can handle 99% pure dark chocolate, and I'll show you someone without taste buds.

My fave kind is the 88% Dark Chocolate from 'Endangered Species'. If I can't find it, I'll get the 87% from 'Dagoba', but the 'Endangered Species' taste better, imo (and according to the wrapper, I can pat myself on the back for helping to save the world by buying it).

I thought that you (Heyzeus) said that you didn't like to combine carbs and fats together or is this so minimal of amount/blood sugar response that it doesn't really matter?
    The Dark Chocolate I eat (88% 'Endangered Species') has 16 grams of carbs per serving, with 9 of those coming from sugars. It also has 5 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein, and 18 grams of fat. That means that of the 220 calories, 16% of it is sugar (or, if I was a marketeer, I'd say it was '84% Sugar Free'). I checked my morning, empty stomach blood sugar vs 1 serving of Dark Chocolate 30 minutes later and actually had a very slight decrease of 3 points in blood sugar. So in this case, I'm not worried about combining a high fat food with the sugar. It's not enough sugar to spike the blood sugars.

I'm not sure, however, what the purity of my Dark Chocolate covered almonds are, however (it's not stated on the label), but they taste a good bit sweeter than my Dark Chocolate bar. I'll be doing blood sugar tests on those soon, too.

Quoteczmg22Quote View Post
    You state the more pure the better. Then what's your opinion of CACAO NIBS, or raw chocolate beans?
    The advantage of eating the cocoa nibs is no added sugar. The disadvantage is that the quality Dark Chocolate bar is probably going to have a higher fat percentage (which, considering the quality of the fat, is a good thing here).

I think it would be hard to go wrong either way.

I've been eating nibs for a long time. typically I eat 2 tbsp per day. Once in the morning with breakfast or with my 1st snack of the day, and once at night as part of my nightime snack.
    I have to be careful with evening consumption of Dark Chocolate. There's been a couple of nights I've been laying in bed, staring at the ceiling wondering why I can't go to sleep. Then I say,"Duh. Dark Chocolate."

Just something to be mindful of.

in order to get the greatest benefit from them, should I change when I eat the nibs? before workout, etc??
    I know with the hype around the preworkout "Xplode!!!" type supplements, that it might seem logical to follow the same procedure with Dark Chocolate as you do with them - but I don't think it's necessary. I don't think the effect of vascularity (and the increased blood flow that goes along with it) is relegated to a short window post-consumption. I think sticking with carbs and protein at preworkout would likely be more advantageous, as opposed to the fat in the Dark Chocolate. Same goes for post workout, too.

I want you all to imagine for a second what it would be like if Big Supplements had a patent on Dark Chocolate. What would the advertising be like? How far would they go to purport the "miracle-like" properties of Dark Chocolate, especially with regard to it's bodybuilding properties? Could you imagine the "Special 4 Page Ad-Reports" in FLEX???

From WebMD: Link
    "If our research results continue to support a link between consumption of flavanol-rich cocoa and nitric oxide synthesis, there could be significant implications for public health,"
    rawcocao.com: Link
    The (cocao) plant contains components that include: alanine, alkaloids, alpha-sitosterol, alpha-theosterol, amylase, arginine, ascorbic-acid, ascorbic-acid-oxidase, aspariginase, beta-carotene, calcium, dopamine, fructose, glucose, glutamic-acid, leucine, linoleic-acid, lipase, lysine, niacin, peroxidase, phenylacetic-acid, phenylalanine, phosphorus, riboflavin, rutin, tannins, theobromine, thiamin and many other things.
    From Medscape.com:
    Link
    Dark Chocolate Increases Production of Nitric Oxide

Taubert et al say that short-term studies have previously shown that high doses of cocoa for two weeks can improve endothelial function and reduce blood pressure, due to the action of cocoa polyphenols...

"The apparent mechanisms by which dark chocolate lowered BP suggests a chronic increase in the production of nitric oxide in the vascular endothelium," the researchers explain
    From JACN (Journal of the American College of Nutrition): Link
    "Flavonoid-rich dark chocolate improves endothelial function..."
    American Journal of Clinical Nutrition: Link
    Short-term administration of dark chocolate is followed by a significant increase in insulin sensitivity...
    PubMed: Link
    "Our study shows for the first time that consumption of dark chocolate...may exert a beneficial effect on endothelial function in healthy adults."
    ^^^None of these references are even from Baylor University, which is where supplement companies have their research done to help ensure positive outcomes.

...and we haven't even gotten into the possibility of increased testosterone from the stearic acid acid content of Dark Chocolate yet!

Dark Chocolate >>> Supplements
    Last edited by heyzeus909; 05-08-2008 at 12:30 PM.

czmg22 is offline Czmg22

Quoteheyzeus909Quote View Post
    I have to be careful with evening consumption of Dark Chocolate. There's been a couple of nights I've been laying in bed, staring at the ceiling wondering why I can't go to sleep. Then I say,"Duh. Dark Chocolate."

Just something to be mindful of.
    MM, Thanks for all the good info. I'll try switching it up from last snack of the day to the afternoon snack and see how it goes. It really was just a "treat" for me though. And as far as sleeping is concerned I've never had a problem with the nibs but then again I can drink coffee in the evening without problems falling asleep although if I do drink coffee my sleep tends not to be a "deep" sleep. Zzzzz...

Thanks again!
    Phil

My fave kind is the 88% Dark Chocolate from 'Endangered Species'. If I can't find it, I'll get the 87% from 'Dagoba', but the 'Endangered Species' taste better, imo (and according to the wrapper, I can pat myself on the back for helping to save the world by buying it).
    I have a confession to make now. My sister is all about the environment, organic foods, etc. and she gets me these exact bars every Christmas or so and I usually just put them in my drawer. I think now that I've been enlightened I shall go dig them up and try this out.
    Also, Heyzeus, about the vascularity aspect. Have you always been pretty vascular or has this made a rather noticeabale increase, in your mind at least? I read the quote where you said that it appears too but mainly am wondering about vascularity beforehand as I am virtually veinless it seems.
    Last edited by FitzChivalry; 05-08-2008 at 10:33 AM.

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

...as far as sleeping is concerned I've never had a problem with the nibs but then again I can drink coffee in the evening without problems falling asleep...
    Could be other aspects of Dark Chocolate besides the caffeine content that could interfere with sleep, too. Such as theobromine.

Here's a quote from wikipedia about theobromine:

Wikipedia: Link
    Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate...

In the liver, theobromine is metabolized into methylxanthine and subsequently into methyluric acid...

As a methylated xanthine, theobromine is a potent Cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) phosphodiesterase inhibitor;[8] this means that it helps prevent the enzyme phosphodiesterase from converting the active cAMP to an inactive form.[25] cAMP works as a second messenger in many hormone- and neurotransmitter-controlled metabolic systems, such as the breakdown of glycogen. When the inactivation of cAMP is inhibited by a compound such as theobromine, the effects of the neurotransmitter or hormone which stimulated the production of cAMP are much longer lived. The net result is generally a stimulatory effect.

Also, Heyzeus, about the vascularity aspect. Have you always been pretty vascular or has this made a rather noticeabale increase, in your mind at least? I read the quote where you said that it appears too but mainly am wondering about vascularity beforehand as I am virtually veinless it seems.
    I really wish I could quantify the effects of vascularity that Dark Chocolate may have, if at all. But, being the oberserver and the observee makes that pretty much impossible.

However, in light of the references made to Dark Chocolate's vasodilation effects, I'd be surprised if it was in my head. But I can't say that's impossible either.

To clarify, are you talking about the cocoa %? I've got some Lindt 85% Cocoa Extra Dark chocolate.

Edit: Fantastic dessert. Melt dark chocolate in micro, add crunchy natural peanut butter and walden farms topping (choco or caramel), mix and eat.
    Last edited by FitzChivalry; 05-10-2008 at 05:49 PM.

Woodsy88 is offline Member

To clarify, are you talking about the cocoa %? I've got some Lindt 85% Cocoa Extra Dark chocolate.

Edit: Fantastic dessert. Melt dark chocolate in micro, add crunchy natural peanut butter and walden farms topping (choco or caramel), mix and eat.
    All I can say is "WOW!"
    Rome wasn't built in a day

Rockwild is offline Senior Member

Blog Entries

I got a bunch of those on sale this week..haha pretty bitter but I love it with coffee at work...
    The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that!

Nima is offline Member

mm,

how did you come accross dark chocolate as being beneficial to health/ muscle building? was it just liking the taste and later finding out its health benefits or word of mouth/reading about it?

THanks!

Nima
    "Steroids are for the weak minded"

adnexa is offline Member

just wondering

MM, how are you measuring the effect on your blood sugar levels? Are you using a glucose meter? just curious. thanks
    The only thing that pisses of a non-comformist more than a conformist is a non-conformist who doesn't conform to the set rules of non-conformity.

deejaykaydee is offline mountain biking man

I picked up some PC Organic dark chocolate the other day. Could only find 70%, so I figure I'll have to call around to some of the "health food" places.

I had a cube of it (1/2 oz maybe) just before I went biking. Not to suggest it was only the chocolate, but I got a nice lil energy boost halfway into my ride.

Man ... when all you've been eating is raw veggies, eggs, and chicken, that little cube of 70% dark chocolate tastes like a mountain of sugar!

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

QuoteNimaQuote View Post
    mm,

how did you come accross dark chocolate as being beneficial to health/ muscle building?
    I seriously don't remember. I know it's been mentioned in the muscle magazines a few times, but I was already consuming it when I read about it. It's quite possible I was taking it for other benefits besides the physique enhancing ones...but I'm not for sure.

QuoteadnexaQuote View Post
    MM, how are you measuring the effect on your blood sugar levels? Are you using a glucose meter?
    Yes, a blood glucose meter. It's part of a larger project I was doing. I was testing the effects on blood sugar that different foods have by testing my blood sugar first thing in the morning prior to eating, then again 30 minutes after consuming whatever food I was testing the blood sugar effects of. Sort of like my own personal glycemic index, but with real world examples of serving sizes.

I had to put the project on hold for a bit because I couldn't continue to eat some of the foods I was eating for breakfast (read: summer was coming). If anyone has access to a blood glucose monitor, or is willing to purchase one (~$50 with the strips at Wally World), and would like to work with me on this project, then please message me.

QuotedeejaykaydeeQuote View Post
    Man ... when all you've been eating is raw veggies, eggs, and chicken, that little cube of 70% dark chocolate tastes like a mountain of sugar!
    Your tongue has adapted. What would have been bitter before is now tasty. Continue eating mostly bland foods, and the "regular" foods that people eat will become too salty or sweet.

That's a good thing. A very good thing.

Bliss is offline Middle Aged Man
    "Use Amazon.Com? Please access
    it through this site."

Blog Entries

That's a good thing. A very good thing.
    I agree. My experience has been that when you clean up your diet, and after the initial suffering/cleaning-out period, the simpler foods are as enjoyable to eat as the stuff you were eating. It stays that way too. So now you are enjoying your food just as much as before and it's better for your body/environment.
    Last edited by Bliss; 07-03-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: bettered

adnexa is offline Member

go to the baking section at the grocery store, I've seen 100% bars that are for cooking by ghiradelli (sp?) Talk about bitter, I usually blend it w/ something.

lmoses is offline Junior Member

100% with coffee and splenda, a little heavy whipping cream taste pretty good.

PrimeRib is offline I know nothing

QuotelmosesQuote View Post
    100% with coffee and splenda, a little heavy whipping cream taste pretty good.
    To everyone here, PLEASE avoid Splenda! Yes it is made from sugar, but the chemical make up has been altered. It can cause migrine headaches(my wife found out the hard way).
    High Fructose Corn Syrup, another man made sweetner made from a natural food is bad for you too. After eating a food product with HFCS in it you body will think it's still hungry for 8 hours more. Is this why Macdonalds puts HFCS in EVERYTHING?! even their "healthy" salads?!

http://media.www.dailyemerald.com/me...-3059737.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup

http://technorati.com/videos/youtube...%3Dfi6fK1PvQK4

http://mcdonaldsemail.com/app_contro...nts.index.html

27. Likes: (1)

deejaykaydee is offline mountain biking man

I found some 85% dc at a local health food store, finally.

That one little cube still tastes delicious. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find some 90% dc.

adnexa is offline Member

QuotePrimeRibQuote View Post
    To everyone here, PLEASE avoid Splenda! Yes it is made from sugar, but the chemical make up has been altered. It can cause migrine headaches(my wife found out the hard way).
    High Fructose Corn Syrup, another man made sweetner made from a natural food is bad for you too. After eating a food product with HFCS in it you body will think it's still hungry for 8 hours more. Is this why Macdonalds puts HFCS in EVERYTHING?! even their "healthy" salads?!
    good advice anything artificial can not be good for you, I was using splenda for a long time, and notice that after awhile I developed an intolerance, I was getting stomach cramps like none other after ingesting it. I use sugar in the raw now or agave(sp?) nectar to sweeten my coffee.

lmoses is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I will try another alternative to splenda.

QuotelmosesQuote View Post
    Thanks for the info, I will try another alternative to splenda.
    Honey is good to use.

Blitz n Destroy is offline Junior Member

I use the endangered species 88% DC, and I shave it on top of Horizon CC and add in some raw lehua honey for my pre workout meal.

I actually recently switched most of my fat sources over to the 88% dc and cocoa roasted almonds, and it makes dieting alot more fun.

wy4786 is offline Junior Member

what about unsweetened baking chocolate?
    is there any use fer them?

Unleash the Amazon is offline Grouchy Person

Blog Entries

QuoteadnexaQuote View Post
    good advice anything artificial can not be good for you, I was using splenda for a long time, and notice that after awhile I developed an intolerance, I was getting stomach cramps like none other after ingesting it. I use sugar in the raw now or agave(sp?) nectar to sweeten my coffee.
    Have you tried demerara cane sugar? It is evaporated cane sugar. I have been using it in my dessert cooking for the past week and I haven't had a reaction yet. I'll keep you posted.

Mountain Man,

IamRay
    I am feeling really stupid because I was looking for this thread and I haven't found it yet can anyone post a link please?
    Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

I found the thread!

ok never mind the last part of my post, I found it! Here it is! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1460091

wy4786 is offline Junior Member

sorry, but i have to ask this again.
    is there any benefits at all of consuming baking cocoa powder? like adding them to coffee or shakes?
    and what about 100% unsweetened choco bars for baking? i been addicted to 99% lindt bars, but they're burning a hole in my pocket ;/ considering converting to 100% baking choco ones. advisable?
    Last edited by wy4786; 12-15-2008 at 11:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Quotewy4786Quote View Post
    sorry, but i have to ask this again.
    is there any benefits at all of consuming baking cocoa powder? like adding them to coffee or shakes?
    and what about 100% unsweetened choco bars for baking? i been addicted to 99% lindt bars, but they're burning a hole in my pocket ;/ considering converting to 100% baking choco ones. advisable?
    bump,
    i'd like to know as well because this is getting expensive

Blog Entries

I just got 85% dc on sale like 2 dollars a bar . I got both boxs of them.. lol I have also asked for a rain check but they wouldn't give it to me since I got like 16 bars... ( 32 dollars for 3lbs )

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

Green & Black's brand?

I have half a grocery sack full from the last time I found it on sale.

spooner121 is offline Member

When are you suppose to eat DC? Before or after workouts? And how much are suppose to eat? And what is the best kind of DC to eat? Assuming there is such a thing?

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

Quotespooner121Quote View Post
    When are you suppose to eat DC? Before or after workouts?
    Before or after workouts would be fine. Or first thing in the morning. Middle of the day would be good. Late night or middle of the night would be good unless you're particularly sensitive to caffeine.

There is no bad time to have a beneficial food, in my opinion.

Conventional wisdom would tell you to not have fats pre or post workout. Conventional wisdom prefers that you have only carbs and protein sans fat. Conventional wisdom, apparently, knows more than mother nature, considering mother nature doesn't provide us a single food source of only carbs and protein sans fat.

And how much are suppose to eat?
    40 grams has been shown to have beneficial effects. That doesn't mean that less than this would still be beneficial, nor does it mean that more wouldn't be even more beneficial. It just means that 40 grams has been studied.

40 grams is about 1/2 of a common size bar.

And what is the best kind of DC to eat? Assuming there is such a thing?
    When evaluating Dark Chocolate, I first look for at least 80% to 85% purity (it'll say on the label). From there, I look at total sugar carbs, then fat content, and lastly fiber. Less sugar is better, more fat is better, and more fiber is a good indication that there's Dark Chocolate, and less other stuff. While labeled percentage of purity is a good start, it's not the end all, be all. For example, 'Endangered Species' brand has a Dark Chocolate that's labeled as 88% pure, while Green and Black's has a Dark Chocolate that's labeled as 85% pure. But, the ES brand has more sugar and is noticeably sweeter than the G&B brand. Also, the G&B brand has more fat in it, which, to me, is a good thing. So, labeled purity is a good starting point, but examining the label a little more closely should hone you in on a good Dark Chocolate even more.

Also, I prefer there be no soy in my Dark Chocolate. There are very few sources of chocolate (dark or otherwise) that don't contain soy. Just my personal preference.

43. Likes: (1)
    spooner121 is offline Member

Wow! Thanks MM. Now i definetly understand DC more clearly. Before this, i knew that DC was good for you, but never really paid any attention to the benefits it can offer. Now when i go and purchase some ill definetly be looking at the lable to be sure im getting the healthier DC. Thanks for the feed back.

Blog Entries

Green & Black's brand?

I have half a grocery sack full from the last time I found it on sale.
    It was Lindt's, I usually grab there 85%, sometimes I manage to buy their 99% DC when it's at the stores.

Mire is offline Senior Member

The Whole Foods where I shop carries Scharffen Berger 99% cacao chocolate.The ingredients: "CACAO BEANS AND WHOLE VANILLA BEANS. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF SUGAR AND SOY LECITHIN."

Heres a link to the nutritional facts if you interested http://www.scharffenberger.com/nutrHBB.asp

Bliss is offline Middle Aged Man
    "Use Amazon.Com? Please access
    it through this site."

Blog Entries

Show me someone that can handle 99% pure dark chocolate, and I'll show you someone without taste buds.

It doesn't seem like you would eat something with white sugar in it.
    Why, exactly do you not eat 100%, or at least 99% chocolate?

Does it upset your (everybody's) stomach or you just have decided you don't like that taste or what?

goalie39 is offline Senior Member

the darker chocolate you get the more bitter it becomes, because there is less sugar, with 100% having no sugar. I remember a few years ago my mom was baking something and it used 100% dark chocolate in the recipe. There was some chocolate left over and I decided to try some, it was awful. Very nasty tasting stuff.
    "Exercising without eating the proper food is like plowing a field and not putting any seed into the ground--nothing would grow out of it." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

QuoteBlissQuote View Post

It doesn't seem like you would eat something with white sugar in it.
    Why, exactly do you not eat 100%, or at least 99% chocolate?

Does it upset your (everybody's) stomach or you just have decided you don't like that taste or what?
    Without sweetness, I find the bitterness is intolerable. If given the choice of 100% Dark Chocolate and nothing, I'd choose the nothing. The overall benefit of the 85% Dark Chocolate I currently prefer is greater than the risk of the added sugar. As well, my blood sugar tests show a drop when consuming the 85% Dark Chocolate. So, I'm not sure there is much, if any, detraction with the added sugar.

The Green & Black's brand I'm currently enjoying has a total of 12 grams sugar carbs in a 700 calorie bar. That's a price to earnings ratio I can live with.

50. Likes: (1)
    MattyB is offline Junior Member

Without sweetness, I find the bitterness is intolerable. If given the choice of 100% Dark Chocolate and nothing, I'd choose the nothing. The overall benefit of the 85% Dark Chocolate I currently prefer is greater than the risk of the added sugar. As well, my blood sugar tests show a drop when consuming the 85% Dark Chocolate. So, I'm not sure there is much, if any, detraction with the added sugar.

The Green & Black's brand I'm currently enjoying has a total of 12 grams sugar carbs in a 700 calorie bar. That's a price to earnings ratio I can live with.
    Hey MM & everybody,

Is there any reason why somebody would'nt go directly to the Cocoa source but consuming 100% cocoa powder instead of DC?

ss4vegeta1 is offline Senior Member

Sup guys so glad I found this site.

In response to this thread isn't some of the compunds in chocolate toxic to the body? Not to mention they heat it up and add things like HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil to prolong the shelf life? Alterated /Similar forms of caffiene which can raise the adrenals and dry out the colon. I honestly love chocolate and I was gonna go with the raw cacao but when I found out about this I released it might not be so good.

to answer to it."

Blog Entries

Quotess4vegeta1Quote View Post
    Sup guys so glad I found this site.

In response to this thread isn't some of the compunds in chocolate toxic to the body?
    If you happen to be a dog, then don't eat chocolate. It might kill you.

Not to mention they heat it up...
    The cocoa beans are roasted. If this is a concern of yours, then you should avoid cooked steak, too.

...and add things like HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil to prolong the shelf life?
    If your dark chocolate lists HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil in the ingredients, then it probably has those items in it.

If not, it probably doesn't.

Alterated /Similar forms of caffiene which can raise the adrenals and dry out the colon.
    My man, I don't know where you're getting your toxic dark chocolate with added HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil, and has so much caffeine in it that it's going to dry rot your gulliver, but you may want to consider shopping somewhere else and trying another brand of dark chocolate.
    Last edited by heyzeus909; 03-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.

ss4vegeta1 is offline Senior Member

If you happen to be a dog, then don't eat chocolate. It might kill you.

The cocoa beans are roasted. If this is a concern of yours, then you should avoid cooked steak, too.

If your dark chocolate lists HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil in the ingredients, then it probably has those items in it.

If not, it probably doesn't.

My man, I don't know where you're getting your toxic dark chocolate with added HFCS, Splendia, and Vegetable oil, and has so much caffeine in it that it's going to dry rot your gulliver, but you may want to consider shopping somewhere else and trying another brand of dark chocolate.

Actually man I like my steak grilled rare now. I was really impressed with your findings btw. Looks like your right about that stuff but I am not sure about the theobromine. Isn't it the steric acid that is valued mosted in chocolate as a sat fat? Isn't that in real butter? I was still going to add chocolate in as a cheat to benefit the N.O.effects When do you eat yours? I am still debating wether to include it in my diet or not. Besides the steric acid why do you include it? Thanks M.M.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disclaimer:

"theFreeRadicals.net participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. In order to support theFreeRadicals.net, there may be monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for endorsements, recommendations, testimonials and/or links to any products or services from this site by other affiliate partners and programs. Furthermore, the content on this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, nor act as a substitute for medical advice. Please consult with your doctor before starting any treatment for a medical condition or starting any diet or exercise. theFreeRadicals.net shall not be held liable or responsible for any misunderstanding or misuse of the information contained on this site or for any loss, damage, or injury caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by any treatment, action, or application of any food/exercise or food/exercise source discussed in this site. The statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Continuing, no content on this site may be reproduced, reprinted, or retransmitted without the expressed written consent from an authority with theFreeRadicals.net. Have a fantastic day, k?"